Tuesday, August 5, 2008

What's in YOUR toolbox?

Everyone carries a toolbox. I've seen a stall box, whine box, get 'er done box among others.

One person wears out the tools and his/her welcome by using the whine box too often. "I could do better BUT THEY give me too much to deal with. I'm expected to do everything myself! I have no time for fun, I'm working ALL the time." Tears have top priority in the box and they effectively turn the attention from the problems of others to pity for the self. Thus avoiding resolving the issues at hand.

The stall box holds arguments, excuses, distractions enough to loop constantly 24/7, with the intention of wearing out the opposition before being required to respond. "Why should I? I did it yesterday. Who said so? Not now. I have to so something else first." Thus avoiding resolving the issues at hand.

Get 'er done toolbox grabs at anything available to get it over with, with no concern for doing it 'right'. A hammer to fix the screw on glasses kind of response. "So there, I did it, don't ask me again." Spray painting the symptoms to hide the deeper issues. The kind of response that causes used cars to crash, bridges to fall down, relationships to shrivel in confusion. Like putting band aids on earthquake sites.

Despondency toolboxes carry volumes of past failures, shattered dreams, self recriminating reasons for not trying again. "What do you expect from me? I never do anything right. I screwed up before I'll scew up again."

Toolboxes have traditionally been used to FIX things. Maybe the rusty hinges need to be reoiled to stop the squeaks. Or maybe it is self-gift time to replace it?

What's in YOUR toolbox?

No comments:

Post a Comment