Monday, December 21, 2009

Losing Magic, Growing Love

Christmas has lost it's magic. Lights are not as bright. Carols are not as inspiring. Secrets and expectations almost non-existent. The EVE doesn't feel like the be all and end all of my heart's desire.

I know what's under the tree -- I bought it. I know where the tree came from and I helped decorate it. I know the Christmas story in all its tellings. I once put all my hopes and dreams into December with the goal of reaching pure joy, love and peace on the calendar's 25th day. Journey's tend to take the edge off the excitement when they go on for a long time. And the years of my journey have done just that.

BUT I have found a better celebration, a more exciting tradition, a music that lasts and a magic that spreads itself like honey on toast for the hungry. I have found the love, joy and peace of the Christ's message in EVERY DAY life. The surprise in a sparkling eye when a student realizes her potential. The excitement in a child's voice finding the pennies deliberately dropped on their path. The embrace received for just being there when someone is feeling lost or alone. No ribbons. No shopping hassle. No stress over failed expectations.

Blessings are as plentiful as the snowflakes on the lawn. They've been accumulating all year long sometimes like falling stars, sometimes like rays of sun that come and go so smoothly they are noticed only by their absence.

Do you hear what I hear? The call to embrace, follow, share as the Christ called us to so long ago, and is calling still. The magic is not lost. It is just spread out in continuous opportunities with every breath we breathe. Not always a burst of light out of darkness; sometimes so subtle we really have to be listening and seeing with our hearts to sense its presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment